Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: General game show question, but specifically Price and LMaD  (Read 6746 times)

cyclone45

What if someone wins a trip or prize that they don\'t want? Like the guy that won a trip to where he lives...can he get the cash equivalent or what? I know on LMAD if I ever won a trip I\'d ask for sure...Considerinbg that on TPiR, you can have any car you want as long as the values match(so I\'m told?)

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
General game show question, but specifically Price and LMaD
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 09:09:39 AM »
If someone wins a prize they don\'t want, they can either A) forfeit it or B) take it in the hopes of selling it later on (not possible in the case of trips). Only the show can substitute a prize for its cash equivalent -- if the players always had the option of \"get the cash equivalent\", then shows would probably go well over budget because cash always costs money.

Seriously, people have been asking this for the past decade at least...
Considerinbg that on TPiR, you can have any car you want as long as the values match(so I\'m told?)
I\'ve never heard about this, myself.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 10:13:50 AM »

If someone wins a prize they don\'t want, they can either A) forfeit it or B) take it in the hopes of selling it later on (not possible in the case of trips). Only the show can substitute a prize for its cash equivalent -- if the players always had the option of \"get the cash equivalent\", then shows would probably go well over budget because cash always costs money.

Seriously, people have been asking this for the past decade at least...

Considerinbg that on TPiR, you can have any car you want as long as the values match(so I\'m told?)

I\'ve never heard about this, myself.

Dan, there\'s a lot of questions that get asked over and over, and the search function for the old forum sucks. Your exasperation really isn\'t warranted, esp. given your track record at times.

Cyclone, from what I\'ve read from various accounts, it depends on the show and dealer, but I would say yes and no. Depending on the dealer, you could go with that particular model or a comparable one, i.e. you win a Chevy Cruze worth $18,550, and you can accept a comparable car, or go out of pocket and add more options (i.e. a sunroof, GPS), or upgrade to say, a Malibu. I\'ve heard of that particular scenario happening, but I don\'t think it was with TPiR contestants.

"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

cyclone45

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 12:52:01 PM »

So, how does THAT work, do they give you a check for the car or what? How does a dealer know you won it? And in the case of trips... \"We\'ll fly you and a guest from Los Angeles back home to Tampa!!\" Say a contestant lived there...they obviously won a prize fair and square..why couldn\'t they get an alternative?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 12:57:13 PM »
You take a voucher to the dealer that says \"Yea verily on November 43, 2013, Travis Eberle did fairly and squarely win a Toyota Corolla on The Price is Right, to a value of $19,573,\" and the dealer provides that car.

Dave Wagner\'s book on being a contestant goes into further detail and details the steps of claiming the car he won on The Joker\'s Wild; in his case he took a cash amount that was the price of a Chevy Chevette minus dealer\'s commission for selling the car.
Travis L. Eberle

cyclone45

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 12:58:32 PM »

So you\'ve won a car on a game show, Travis? Or do you know someone that did?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 01:07:51 PM »
Check the date there, Johnny. :)
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 01:09:48 PM »
So, how does THAT work, do they give you a check for the car or what? How does a dealer know you won it? And in the case of trips... \"We\'ll fly you and a guest from Los Angeles back home to Tampa!!\" Say a contestant lived there...they obviously won a prize fair and square..why couldn\'t they get an alternative?

You and Travis posted at about the same time, but he answered your question about the voucher, as well as Dave Wagner\'s story from Joker\'s Wild. I couldn\'t remember if it were that show or Press Your Luck, where he won a Nissan Sentra. IIRC, the Nissan dealer in his hometown offered him the Sentra or a cash alternative. It\'s been close to 20 years since I read the book, so I\'m going off of memory.

Our own Randy West also won a Sentra on PYL too. He added some of his cash winnings and purchased a Maxima.

As far as trips, there was a Pyramid contestant who won a trip to her hometown (IIRC somewhere in Alaska). They offered her a trip somewhere else.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 08:01:31 PM by BrandonFG »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

cyclone45

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 01:12:24 PM »

Yeah , I\'d hate to win a trip to Florida, only to forfeit it because I live there...

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 01:31:45 PM »
If someone wins a prize they don\'t want, they can either A) forfeit it or B) take it in the hopes of selling it later on (not possible in the case of trips).
Why couldn\'t you sell two round trip tickets, a hotel reservation and two round trip theme park passes or whatever accoutrements go along with the trip?
Travis L. Eberle

SwohS Emag

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 01:39:01 PM »

My wife and I won a trip to St. Lucia on Newlywed Game (season 6) this past year.  We have yet to take the trip, but it is scheduled for September.

When we won, the prize document I received from gameshowprizes.com separated the value of the hotel stay and the value of the airfare.

The rules very explicitly indicated that the trip was non-transferable, though we did consider (should we have been unable to take the trip), that we might be able to do the following:

-Book the hotel dates directly with the hotel

-Book the flights with the travel agency

-Once the flights are booked, I am instructed to deal directly with the airline

-Cancel the airline flight, which gives us a voucher in the value of the tickets, minus the $250/person change fee, (in our case a total of about $1,000)

-Use this voucher for future personal travel on that airline wherever it flies

In that scenario only could I recoup some sort of alternate value from the trip besides taking the trip itself.

But of course, we instead are going to enjoy a week on the beach!  We do have to pay for our airport to hotel transfers, which will be about $125 each way, and it\'s too bad the trip did not include spending money, but beggars can\'t be choosers, right?

TimK2003

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 02:42:23 PM »

You and Travis posted at about the same time, but he answered your question about the voucher, as well as Dave Wagner\'s story from Joker\'s Wild. I couldn\'t believe if it were that show or Press Your Luck, where he won a Nissan Sentra. IIRC, the Nissan dealer in his hometown offered him the Sentra or a cash alternative. It\'s been close to 20 years since I read the book, so I\'m going off of memory.

Our own Randy West also won a Sentra on PYL too. He added some of his cash winnings and purchased a Maxima.

As far as trips, there was a Pyramid contestant who won a trip to her hometown (IIRC somewhere in Alaska). They offered her a trip somewhere else.

If I were in that situation, and if I won other bigger & better stuff,  I\'d see if I could get the tickets reversed for future travel (Two R/T tickets FROM your hometown) to LA and either keep the local accommodations (for a staycation) or have my relatives/parents/friends come out to stay at the hotel (they would pay their own way out).

« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 02:43:31 PM by TimK2003 »

jage

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2013, 06:39:07 PM »

My mom won a trip to Florida with theme park passes, etc. from a movie premier drawing. But she was able to take the airfare which was essentially two tickets within the continental U.S. and go somewhere else and sell off some of the other extras. A lot seems to depend on how the prize is awarded (physical goods, gift certificate, etc.)